Monday, May 25, 2009

The Burning-Glass by: George William Russell


A shaft of fire that falls like dew,
  And melts and maddens all my blood,
From out thy spirit flashes through
  The burning-glass of womanhood.
 
Only so far; here must I stay:        5
  Nearer I miss the light, the fire;
I must endure the torturing ray,
  And with all beauty, all desire.
 
Ah, time long must the effort be,
  And far the way that I must go        10
To bring my spirit unto thee,
  Behind the glass, within the glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flurrying Flames

Flurrying Flames
My Own Image of Fire

I'm fascinated with taking pictures of fire.  I took this photo this 
past winter, and the flying sparks is what struck me. It is 
interesting to me that fire is so duel natured: if it is controlled 
fire can be beautiful, and it can warm, but if left to its own 
devices it destroys.  On the one hand sparks can ignite a fire that 
warms a cold man, and on the other hand it can burn that same 
man's house.  Similar to flames, passion can kill, but it can also 
create a warmth and beauty inside its owner.